The Dean of the Barcelona Bar Association (ICAB), Oriol Rusca, and managing trustee of the Agbar Foundation, Ignacio Escudero, yesterday inaugurated the fountains in the gardens of the Palauet Casades building at a ceremony attended by the historian Lluís Parmanyer.
The Barcelona Bar Association was forced to rebuild the fountains, in the gardens at the entrance on Carrer Mallorca with Carrer Roger de Llúria, after an act of vandalism. The new fountains were made possible by the sponsorship agreement signed with the Agbar Foundation.
During the inauguration, the Dean of the ICAB, Oriol Rusca, stressed that ‘the two fountains in the Palauet Casades gardens have not just been rebuilt but now spout water as a symbol of re-establishing balance in a façade and building that are part of the Barcelona Eixample district’s artistic and cultural heritage’. Rusca expressed his gratitude to the Agbar Foundation as their sponsorship meant the reconstruction was carried out in as short a time as possible. He also mentioned that the fountains now worked with a closed circuit to ensure more efficient and sustainable use of water.
For his part, the managing trustee of the Agbar Foundation, Ignacio Escudero, expressed his satisfaction at having contributed to the repair of the Palauet Casades fountains, ‘an action that falls within the aim of our Foundation to protect the city of Barcelona’s cultural heritage, as this is a listed building’.
History of the Palauet Casades fountains
The two fountains once again flowing at the entrance garden to the Palauet Casades building are part of the extension work on the Barcelona Bar Association headquarters carried out from 1950 to 1953 under the architect Agustí Borrell i Sensat. The work connected the Palauet Casades building (the original) to a new building (on the corner) through an angular front crowned with sculptures and built back from the other façades, leaving space for flowerbeds and the fountains that had to be rebuilt in 2016.
The front page of La Vanguardia on 14 April 1953 covered the inauguration of the extension to the Barcelona Bar Association headquarters.